During two years, the EUR-TEXT project, with the support of the European Union’s Culture programme, brought together nearly 140 JOA musicians from the Abbaye aux Dames and young artists from other artistic fields:
- four young contemporary music composers, in partnership with Soundscapes – Maltese Association for Contemporary Music,
- eleven young Czech musicians from the Janacek Academy of Music Brno,
- sixteen young Polish artists (painters and costume designers) from the Strzeminski Academy of Fine Arts in Łódź,
- and four young Maltese costume designers from the Maltese College of Arts.
Throughout the project, the young artists from 26 different countries drew inspiration from the classical and romantic periods to perform new, contemporary interpretations of past works in Saintes, Brno, Łódź and Malta on the occasion of cross-cutting events, including:
- ten concerts using instruments from the pre-classical period to the late romantic period,
the international creation of four contemporary works composed for early instruments, complementing their original sources of inspiration,
- fourteen critical editions in partnership with the University of Poitiers,
- three fashion shows exhibiting 20 contemporary outfits,
- three travelling exhibitions displaying 32 works of modern art,
- a final congress held in Łódź, Poland, from 28 to 30 March 2014, which led to five university research articles.
Relive the fashion show inspired by “between mysteries and shivers” romanticism, held at the Abbaye aux Dames in Saintes, on 13 July 2013.
Relive the news story produced during the closing symposium held in Łódź, Poland, from 28 to 30 March 2014.
The Abbaye aux Dames coordinated this project with the support of three co-organisers:
- the Strzeminski Academy of Arts, Łódź, Poland
- the Janáček Academy of Music, Brno (JAMU), Czech Republic
- Soundscapes/ Maltese Association for Contemporary Music, Malta
Seven main associate partners also lent their support:
- the University of Poitiers
- the Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique et de Danse de Paris (Paris’ Higher National Academy of Music and Dance)
- the Royaumont Foundation
- the Philharmonie de Brno
- the Teatru Manoel de La Valette
- the University of Malta
- the Maltese College for Arts, Science & Technology.